Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Let's Get Heated Buffalo Chili ~ Tasty Tuesday



3 pounds ground buffalo
3 onions, diced
3 pounds of red, orange and yellow peppers, diced
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons coriander pods, smashed
4 jalapeno peppers cored, diced
cloves from 1 large head of garlic, minced
1/2 small can adobo chilies in sauce, chopped 
1  can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 large can and 1 small can of diced tomatoes
1 large can tomato sauce

In a large sauce pot, or cast iron insert of your slow cooker if your dad and step-mom got you this for your wedding (Thanks guys!)



At a recent cooking class I was told that you really have to use salt to unlock flavors in food. I never ever do that I only use it if the recipe calls for it. I do not think anything is worse than a too salty dish, while you can always add more (each person to their liking), but it is not as easy to take it away. I decided to try it on this chili and I was not disappointed. So after I seasoned the buffalo well with salt I cooked it on medium high heat. Break it apart as it cooks and when it is done drain the meat, reserving a small amount in the insert, and put the buffalo on a plate. I did not make sure to get all the juice as buffalo is pretty healthy.

Reduce heat to medium and add the diced onions and peppers to the buffalo juices. I started with the onions adding the peppers as I diced them. I used my professional multi-chopper that the Porter's got you for your wedding. (Thanks Porter's!) This also makes quick work of pot pies.



 Continue to cook the vegetables, till the onions are translucent and the peppers will start to sweat their pigment into the onions. Add chili powder, cumin, coriander pods, garlic and jalapeno. Cook for a few minutes and then ass the chili in adobo sauce, and then add the buffalo and beans in. Stir well.  Put insert or empty pot into the slow cooker, cook on low for 8 hours. 






Serve with cheese, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream if you prefer and garnish with sliced jalapeno or avocado. 






No comments:

Post a Comment