Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Turkey Stock



Last week  we had a Thanksgiving at work. We had three turkeys and everyone brought in sides and desserts. On of my big regrets from the Christmas party last year, I almost took the ham bones home but then I was too embarrassed or something and I did not. Well, I did not make that mistake this year. When I left work today I left with tree turkey carcasses. While I got several weird looks I did not care. I was going to make turkey stock and freeze it for the winter. When I got home and was getting ready to break apart the turkeys I realized that there was a decent amount of meat left on there. So I started to shred the turkey in a much more personal hands on way then they were willing to do at work. I ended up with three pounds of turkey. Mind you these birds were only twelve pounds each so three pound of meat was pretty cool. I did not take any pictures of my disassembled turkey carcasses but I made  two batches of broth in my slow cooker, since it was already out from the pot luck. Here is the breakdown:
  • 1 1/2 turkey carcasses
  • 4 large carrots chopped in to large chunks
  • 4 stalks of celery chopped in to large chunks
  • 1 yellow onion chopped in to quarters
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 6 bay leaves
  • 2 Tablespoons of Ms. Dash 
  • 1 Tablespoon of thyme
  • 10 peppercorns
  • 12 cups of water
Put everything in the removal able iron insert and put it in on the stove on high heat for twenty minutes until it starts to boil then put it in the slow cooker base on high for 4 hours and then reduce it to low heat for 8.


After you refrigerate it overnight take it out and scrape out all the fat that has hardened on the top. 

2 comments:

  1. I never really knew how to do this- thanks for the instructions :)

    http://threadtheneedleblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great way to use the whole bird. Next month I will write about what I do with Pork bones. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete