Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ding-dong the hutch is done

Remember this project?

Well it is finally, finally done. (See the process below)

First I stared to sand this. I even bought one of those handy sanders that claim to keep the sawdust in a bag. See how in the before picture this was inside. Because we had scared our wood floors TWICE brining it up I was not about to try and have it moved again. 

I started painting with those foam brushes as I had a million of them. I could not find my purdy brush it was on top of the dryer, why I put it there in the first place? And just to clairify we have a stacked washer and dryer, the dyer is taller than me, and not many things are. So I did not look there. I like to use what I have but after I broke 7 or 8 of those foam brushes and then did a coat with the purdy I realized how much time I had actually wasted. It probably took less time to to do the third coat of brown then the primer coat and the first two of brown. All of the paint I had in my collection the brown was Bitter Chocolate (790B-7) from Bear in eggshell that I have had for a while, I cannot even remember what I bought this for originally, I did use it on my last dinning room table that is now back with Annika, and I have used it on this hutch and the floating shelved that went inside. I felt pretty crafty for that as one of the glass shelves was broken. The floating shelves were from my room at my parent's house. Through the 2 moves after that the hardware was missing. So I put them on the back of the hutch so we could drill them in. Then I was able to use something that was not able to be used before . 

Our Purdy brush is not very pretty anymore, and we have only had it since last February. It has been though a lot.

Here was one of the steps along the way, this took many coats. I primed the whole thing and then there was three coats of brown and cream.

There were a few spots where the caning had popped up a little Gorilla Glue and they went right were they were suppost to.

Thank goodness by the time I had gotten to this part we had found the brush because making sure that I got in to every little square in the caning took a lot of work. 

It really looked great once it was done. 

The drawer had some issues and I wanted to store electronics in there so I wanted it to be soft but textured to make sure things would not just slide around. 

This was one of the place-mats that I had gotten when I had purchased the tropical bedroom set. You can see more of the motif here. I added the bits to the side so that it would be the same depth. 

Then I trimmed it out with indigo blue ribbon. 

The ribbon I had taken off some of our Christmas ornaments now that this blue is not part of our main color scheme. 

So this is the finished product. 

I put in plenty of our books which I covered in brown matte paper from the container store. I write the titles on them with brown sharpie so you can see them up close but not from afar. 

Then I filled it in with picture frames and other accessories. 

I am linking this to the following parties:

Piece of Work Wednesday at Primitive & Proper
Tuesday Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Restored it Wednesday at Restore Interiors
Power of Paint Party at Domestically Speaking
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage 
March 2011 at the DIY Club Inc
Free For All at Young and Crafty
Friday Flair Linky Party at Whipperberry
Sunday Showcase Party at Under The Table and Dreaming
Think Pink Sundays No.2 at Flamingo Toes


  1. it looks so much better in brown, and i especially love the covered books in it!

  2. Wow, what a great transformation. It looks 10 times more chic now.