Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sour Cream Pie Crust

I was asked yesterday what was the first thing that I cooked in my new toaster oven? It was my favorite potpies.



 While I had gushed about how happy I was to be getting one I have not blogged about it. I had not really blogged about it since then. I LOVE it is perfect, we have used it for so many things and it is just so beautiful. That crust was a new recipe that I tried after the whole pie crust fiasco... Later when there was not an event we had a deadline on I decided to make a bunch of pie crust, I do not want to ever buy it pre made again. I had heard that sour cream pie crusts are AMAZING, I had no idea but they are as you can see they really are, and so simple. I had the sour cream and some Crisco that my mom gave me when she moved, I never use the stuff. But I did and now I may have to. The following recipe is from cooks.com:


SOUR CREAM PIE CRUST DOUGH
1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. sour cream
2 tbsp. ice water
1 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. cake flour
1/2 c. (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter
1/2 c. chilled solid vegetable shortening

Combine sour cream, water, sugar and salt in small bowl. Combine both flours in large bowl. Cut in butter and shortening with fingers or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add sour cream mixture and stir just until dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Divide in half. Form each half into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap each disk in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour, (can be prepared 1 month ahead; freeze).

No comments:

Post a Comment