Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Travertine Herringbone Coffee Table

On March 19 Mikey and I bought a round  herringbone travertine coffee table. It is beautiful. The legs were not stained a shade I did not like, 70's golden brown.


If that was not bad enough, and it totally was, it was damaged and chipped. I knew it had to be totally redone.


Mikey convinced me to do the scariest thing that I have ever done with furniture, we took the top off. I was afraid that it would ruin the structural integrity of the piece. But it did not. :)


Remember the post that I did on how stripper reacts differently to different substances well this was no exception this blistered there really is not a different word for it. 


Then I stripped it again,


and again, 


and again, 


then I sanded, 


and sanded,


then Mikey stained it three times as I cannot be trusted with stain. 


This stuff was actually very amazing I wish we had this when we were doing the entertainment center. 


It is General Finishes in black. I cannot give you a real picture as my can is not so pretty anymore. 


Finished result. 


I finished this back in July but I was consumed with all things wedding I never shared it with you and I wanted to. I hope you enjoyed this and learn that if something has great bones you can make a great transformation. So when grandma offers you some family heirlooms...

Linking to these parties:

4 comments:

  1. I love it. good choice on the espresso stain. I'm hosting a giveaway at DIY Home Sweet Home.
    I would love for you to stop by and check it out.
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/2011/11/giveaway-shabby-apple-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks beautiful! the top is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top is what really sold us. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is this?! I know what you mean about scary taking furniture apart, but it's SOOO worth it!

    Visiting from TT&J linky party,
    Smiles and thanks for sharing :D
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete