Sunday, December 5, 2010

Paper Christmas Tree

I love the Charlie Brown Christmas tree as seen here

Over the years they have made ones that you can have at home that look like this

I also really like this twig topiary by David Stark for West Elm

And as I was talking about in the twilight post I wanted to make one, a hybrid of the two actually. 

I wanted to combine the two, the base, childhood memories, and minimal ornaments of the Charlie Brown tree paired with the book covering of the David Stark edition. 

  • tree branches
  • glue
  • glitter (if desired)
  • masking tape
  • bendy medal
  • book pages (from a Twilight Breaking Dawn book that had seen better days)
  • a slat from a wooden pallet
  • faux evergreen if desired

The best part of this project? It was all FREE! Tree branches I aquried from someone's pruning pile, glue I had, glitter I omitted (but had if I wanted), masking tape I have plenty of. Bendy metal I had from stipping the snowflake branches I had, book pages from a book I replaced because I had spilled tomato juice during a particuarally turbulant airplane ride, and a pallet slat one of the boys, well technically 2 of the boys from work got me. The first guy got me one I forgot it someone threw it away. I asked a second boy who brought me another. A third boy removed the rusty nails for me. 

Remember those branches that I jacked rescued from the side of the road, well I had been scoping them out everyday on my way to work.

So I cut up the first seven chapters of Breaking Dawn. See the complete idea for the book, and the reason I was cutting it up here.

I started with the branch that Mikey Like the best, as I had brought home three options. 

Then I used extra metal bendy things to stabilize certain branches that I was going to put really heavy ornaments on, or to make additional branches all together. Then I wrapped them in masking tape to stay all together. 

Years ago when Pier one did their 90% off Christmas decor I purchased this never knowing what I would end up using it for, I am sure it cost me less than a dollar though. 

I then wrapped them to the tree tightly with masking tape. 

Then I started to decopage the pages on I had cut them to one inch strips and all the boarder off, I also then cut them in half because that was more than enough for the little branches. I am sure when I get to the larger 
branches I will have to use a full length. So last night I did a foot and it took me about 40 minutes. This was going to be a long project, it took me about ten hours or so in total. 

I however think it looks excellent!

After a few ornaments had been added the vintage typewriter ball no. 2, silver dipped mistletoe, and silver dipped aspen leaves. I will find a home for the tree tomorrow. 

This post is linked to 

See other entries here

See other entries here

See other entries here.

See other entries here.


  1. Wow! Lots of hard work - but it looks like it paid off. A very classy result!
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont

  2. Wow, what a very cool idea! And it turned out great! Good work, and thanks for sharing it with us!
    : ) Meg

  3. Brilliant brilliant brilliant. And beautiful too ;)

  4. Very cute! I'm taking my holiday decorating cue from David Stark this year as well. I'll post about a few of my projects soon.