Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Ornaments from Vintage Typewriter Balls, Volume 1

A few years ago I was fortunate enough, due to my amazing shopping skills I came across a box of eight vintage typewriter balls at the goodwill. I cannot seem to remember what I paid for them. This was one of those things that I saw and had to have but was never really sure what to do with. Then last night after the night of no sleep I decided to make some Christmas ornaments.


This first one will be a gift as it does not go with my color scheme but I had these red feathers and I just could not resist.

Materials:

  • Red feather boarder
  • Red silken cord
  • One Vintage Typewriter ball
  • Hot glue gun

First tie a double knot in the silken cord and pull through the hole in the top and hot glue in place. Then roll up the feathers you can do it one of 2 ways, inward which gives you a tapered almost rabbit foot like appearance or outward that looks more like a badminton ball.


I did glue as I tightly wrapped the feathers to make sure they would fit inside of the ball.


Then I used hot glue around the top of the ball, you want it to fit snugly and make sure that there is enough hot glue in the top to hold everything in place. 

2 comments:

  1. Wickedly creative & awesome idea! I am in love with this. Great way to recycle those typewriter gizmos. I would love for you to link this up to Wickedly Crafty Saturdays at Wiccan Make Some Too!
    http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/2010/11/wickedly-crafty-saturdays_27.html
    I am following your site now. Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever and I love the feathers! Thanks so much for linking to the party - I greatly appreciate it! I featured these today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a lovely week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete